SOUTH BEND — Fire crews swarmed North Village Mall on Indiana 933 Thursday night after a major electrical shortage caused heavy smoke inside the structure. Water from a leaky roof apparently dripped into an electrical panel around 6:30 p.m., said Clay Fire Territory Chief Timm Schabbel, causing considerable smoke damage inside. The shortage started on the north side of the building, Schabbel said. American Electric Power disconnected electricity to the entire building to allow for repairs, Schabbel said. The mall will likely be without power for a few days, he said. Clay Fire Territory and the City of Niles Fire Department responded to the scene.
An electrical fire at North Village Mall caused moderate smoke damage around 6:30 p.m. Thursday. Electricity is expected to be shut off at the mall for repairs.
Tribune Photo/MARY KATE MALONE