A restaurant in Van Buren County east of Paw Paw was damaged by a fire early Sunday morning. Mattawan Fire Chief Terron McLean said crews quickly gained control of the blaze at Mancino’s, 51260 N. Main St., Mattawan, after arriving at 3:30 a.m., soon after being dispatched. “A few more minutes and it would have been quite involved,” he said Sunday morning. He said crews cleared the scene at 5:31 a.m. A maintenance worker saw smoke from the vents and heavy smoke from a doorway and called 911, McLean said. He said the fire appears to have started in an area between the eating area and the kitchen. The restaurant, which is connected to a strip mall, sustained heavy smoke and heat damage. No other businesses were affected. The fire is under investigation, but McLean said he did not suspect arson. He said the restaurant would be closed probably for at least three days while cleanup crews and the health department do their work.