A house fire Friday night in Elkhart killed two dogs and caused extensive damage to the home in the 800 block of Madison Street.
No one was home at the time of the fire which is believed to have started because of an electrical overload in the living room, according to an Elkhart City Fire Department news release.
The fire caused $25,000 damage to the building and $8,000 damage to contents.
The family of three adults and two children relocated with help from the Elkhart County Red Cross. The agency provided money for food, clothes and stuffed animals for the children.
“This family has lost everything. It’s terrible to go through this kind of devastation, but for kids, it’s particularly hard,” Frank Connolly was quoted in a Red Cross news release. Connolly is the chapter’s assistant director.