STEVENSVILLE, Mich. — When Lincoln Township Firefighters arrived at 4363 Velvet St. at 8 p.m. Saturday, a two-car attached garage as well as three vehicles parked outside the garage were engulfed in flames. Fire did burn through to a living room wall, but firefighters kept the fire from spreading to the rest of the house.
Also escaping the fire were an infant and five adults, all who escaped the house before firefighters arrived, according to a news release from fire chief Ron Burkett.
Two family cats perished in the fire.
Burkett said the fire spread quickly through the garage because the garage door was open when the fire began, likely in its front corner.
No damage estimates were available. Lincoln and Royalton township firefighters were on the scene for about 2.5 hours.
The house owner told firefighters he and his family were staying with relatives. The house, which sustained heat and smoke damage, was insured.