LaPORTE — A police officer on patrol spotted smoke coming from the roof of Silgan Containers Corp. just after 8 a.m. Saturday. LaPorte firefighters responding to the call on 300 N. Fail Road, discovered the facility’s main electrical feed failed, which sparked the fire, LaPorte Fire Chief Robert Sabie told WSBT-TV.
The manufacturing facility’s electrical system and inventory sustained water damage when the plant’s sprinkler system activated. Firefighters were at the scene for about two hours. No firefighters were injured.
The LaPorte facility, one of the California-based company’s 28 manufacturing sites in the United States, manufactures metal food packaging.