KINGSFORD HEIGHTS — A young girl was injured by drinking a substance that a police official believes might have come from a suspected meth lab in Kingsford Heights.
LaPorte County Metro Operations coordinator Tim Shortt said the girl was flown to Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis after ingesting the caustic substance Friday afternoon. He did not know her present condition.
However, Shortt said, the girl vomited after drinking the unknown liquid and the fluids from her stomach burned her skin.
"She started having trouble breathing then she started to foam at the mouth," Shortt added.
Kingsford Heights Town Marshal Chris Fine told WSBT-TV that a 4½-old-girl "accidentally ingested an acid-type substance. We're not sure at this point what it is. We have no lab results back. At this moment Kingsford Heights Police Department is handling this as an accidental poisoning."
The name of the girl and other details surrounding the consumption of the poison were not released because that side of the case was still being investigated by Kingsford Heights police.
Donald Lowe, 30, who lives at the residence along with Nicole Johnson, 31, were booked in the La Porte County Jail on preliminary charges.