BAY CITY, Mich. (AP) — About $323,000 has been awarded to a hospital as part of a civil suit filed by the family of a 93-year-old Bay City man who froze to death after a power-limiting device was placed on his electricity meter because of unpaid bills.
The Bay City Times reports (http://bit.ly/qqTCdN) Monday that Bay Regional Medical Center received the settlement money because Marvin Schur left everything to the facility in his will.
Schur's family had filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Bay City and Bay City Electric Light & Power.
Six of Schur's relatives were to receive about $6,000 each. The law firm representing the family was awarded about $187,000.
Neighbors discovered Schur's body in January 2009 in a winter jacket over four layers of clothing.
An autopsy showed he died of hypothermia.
Information from: The Bay City Times, http://www.mlive.com/bay-city