This flavorful twist on traditional chili makes creative use of affordable and versatile chicken. If you're looking for a change of pace from beef, this one's a hearty alternative.
Cooking Time: 1 hr
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (1-1/2 to 2 pounds total), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 (16-ounce) cans Great Northern beans, undrained
- 1 (14-1/2-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained, broken up
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chilies, undrained
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- In a soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and saute 5 to 6 minutes, until browned.
- Add onion and garlic, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until onion is tender. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 50 to 60 minutes, or until chili thickens slightly, stirring occasionally.