MISHAWAKA – WSBT has learned a settlement has been reached between a Mishawaka apartment complex and the family of a 5-year-old boy who was electrocuted when he crawled into a transformer box in 2008.
An attorney for part of the family of Izaya Baiz-Hickey confirms a settlement was reached in July between the family of the boy, Carriage House Apartments and Gene B. Glick Management. Due to a confidentiality agreement, the terms of the settlement cannot be released.
The family had sued the apartment complex and its management company for wrongful death and negligent infliction of emotional distress after Izaya climbed into the unlocked transformer box at the apartments on Thanksgiving day in 2008.
Mishawaka Utilities owned the utility box. A $700,000 settlement was reached with the city in April of 2011.
We will continue to follow this story and bring you more details as we get them.