MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. (AP) — A state environmental official says a chemical solution that spilled into a northern Indiana ditch was hazardous but not toxic.
The Times of Munster (http://bit.ly/oYNbJG ) reports that the 1,500 gallons of a latex solution that entered the ditch Thursday contained about 600 parts per billion of formaldehyde, making it hazardous.
But Indiana Department of Environmental Management spokesman Barry Sneed said the release caused by an equipment failure at Fiber Bond Corp. in Michigan City was not toxic.
Sneed said crews installed several dikes in the ditch, preventing all but trace amounts of the solution from seeping into Trail Creek, which flows into Lake Michigan.