Monday update: Fire Marshal Dave Cherrone says an electrical malfunction of some sort caused the fire at Castle Point Apartments Saturday night. He says it had nothing to do with the wiring of the building. They know where the fire started and are looking at what was plugged in at the apartment at the time of the fire. He said they will be able to pinpoint the exact cause in a day or two.
SOUTH BEND – For the second night in a row, firefighters responded to a fire inside of a South Bend apartment complex.
On Saturday evening, firefighters were called to the 1800 block of Coachmans trail located at Castle Point apartments around 9:15 p.m.
Only one apartment was involved in the fire.
Still, the entire building was evacuated, and according to the Clay Fire Territory Fire Marshal, at least eight of those residents were out of their homes for at least a short time.