A platter of crispy potato pancakes is always welcome for holiday entertaining. Our twist on the spuds makes great use of healthy sweet potatoes as a tasty option for traditional white potatoes.
Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 10 min
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes and onion, egg, flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper; mix well. Form into 8 equal-sized pancakes.
- In a large deep skillet, heat about 1/4 inch of oil over medium-high heat. Place half the pancakes in the oil, without crowding skillet, and fry for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden. (If you like them crisper, fry until they're flecked with brown.) Drain on a paper towel-lined platter. Repeat with remaining pancakes, and serve hot.