Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: WSBT HomeCollectionsMichigan
IN THE NEWS

Michigan

NEWS
WSBT-TV Report | August 9, 2013
Michigan's longest garage sale is this weekend. The sale stretches from Detroit to to New Buffalo in Berrien County along U.S 12. “It's a good event,” said Joyce Hayden, who loves a bargain. “We definitely are going to be a part of it. A great way to get rid of our extra stuff that we don't need that other people probably could use.” “Normally, don't do much garage saling,” added Daryl O'Brien, who's participating in the big garage sale for the first time.
Advertisement
NEWS
August 7, 2013
GREENVILLE, Mich. (AP) - Authorities say 22-year-old man who was pulled from a West Michigan lake following a personal watercraft accident has died. The Kent County sheriff's department says Jordan Lee Kooienga of Grand Rapids was thrown from the watercraft while making a turn Monday on Wabasis Lake in Greenville. Kevin Rau, a cousin, tells MLive.com (http://bit.ly/11L4oER) that Kooienga had a brain aneurysm that led to his death. People on a boat pulled Kooienga from the water.
NEWS
August 4, 2013
EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP) - An expert on West Nile virus predicts Michigan's season won't be as bad as 2012. Ned Walker at Michigan State University says cool, wet conditions tend to slow down transmission of the virus. He says West Nile is inevitable, but he believes the number of cases will be lower this year. State health officials last week reported the first confirmed human case of 2013, a man from St. Joseph County in southwestern Michigan. There were more than 200 West Nile cases in Michigan last year, including 17 deaths.
HEALTH
WSBT-TV Report | August 2, 2013
Michigan has confirmed its first human case of West Nile Virus - and it's in our area. Health officials say a man came down with the virus in St. Joseph County, Michigan. And just last week, we told you that West Nile was detected in mosquitoes in Starke County. Last year in Michigan, 17 people died and more than 200 people got the disease from mosquitoes.
ENTERTAINMENT
July 30, 2013
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (AP) - Organizers of the annual international ArtPrize competition in Michigan say an Internet Cat Video Festival will be part of this year's event. The free Sept. 27 showing at Rosa Parks Circle in downtown Grand Rapids is being put on by the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis. The art center last year held its inaugural Internet Cat Video Festival, and the museum has a partnership with ArtPrize. Organizers are taking submissions and there will be a People's Choice award.
NEWS
WSBT-TV Report | July 29, 2013
We are hearing more from the family of a 6-year old boy who was trapped under 11 feet of sand at a LaPorte County beach earlier this month. Nathan Woessner is home now after spending nearly two weeks at a Chicago children's hospital. On July 12, Nathan got trapped in the sand at Mount Baldy in Michigan City. It took rescuers nearly four hours to pull him out. For the past few weeks, doctors have worked to help him regain his strength and removed sand from his lungs.
NEWS
By James Fillmore (jfillmore@wsbt.com) | WSBT-TV | July 28, 2013
NEW BUFFALO-- Red flags on the beach and the waters of Lake Michigan prove unforgiving once again this weekend as a teenage swimmer got caught in rip current conditions off the beach of New Buffalo. The New Buffalo Police Chief says the 15-year-old boy was pronounced dead around 8:20 Saturday evening.      The chief doesn't want to identify the boy because he's a minor but does say the victim is from Tinley Park, Illinois.       The teenager was initially taken to St. Anthony's in Michigan City and eventually airlifted to Chicago.
NEWS
WSBT-TV Report | July 26, 2013
CHICAGO - The 6-year-old Illinois boy who was buried in a sand dune for nearly 4 hours has been released from a Chicago children's rehab center. Two weeks ago, on July 12, Nathan Woessner of Sterling, Ill. was rescued from an 11-foot sand hole near Mount Baldy in Michigan City. Nathan was taken to La Rabida Children's Hospital on Tuesday and was discharged on Friday. His attending physician says the young boy received rehabilitative care over the last few days, including physical, occupational and speech therapy.
NEWS
By James Fillmore (jfillmore@wsbt.com) | WSBT-TV | July 24, 2013
MICHIGAN CITY - Wednesday marked the second straight day of dangerous conditions on Lake Michigan and most people seemed to have heeded the warnings. WSBT's James Fillmore reports from Washington Park Beach where three people had to be rescued on Tuesday. The waves were still larger than usual and lifeguards said the rip currents were still very strong. They advised people all day to stay out of the water, and most listened. Kimberly Baldwin is originally from the area and is visiting from Kentucky with her family.
NEWS
By Ted Land (tland@wsbt.com), Click here to friend Ted on Facebook | WSBT-TV | July 24, 2013
MICHIGAN CITY -- It's been 2 years since someone shot and killed a 17-year-old girl at a park. The case remains unsolved, despite the fact that there were dozens of witnesses. The first crime happened at about 11 pm when someone opened fire on a crowd after a birthday party at Krueger Memorial Park, killing 17-year-old Ne'Keisha Hawkins. But what immediately followed, and continues to this day, is what you might call a crime of the conscience. Dozens of people, perhaps more than a hundred, were there and probably witnessed the shooting.
WSBT-TV Articles
|